Signs of Beneficial knowledge
1) Implementing it.
2) Hatred for being praised, complemented, or displaying haughtiness over others.
3) Increasing your modesty with the increase of knowledge.
4) Fleeing from the love of leadership, fame, and worldly pleasures.
5) Abandoning the claim to have knowledge.
6) Having bad suspicions about oneself, and good suspicion about other people, so as to steer clear from disparaging them.
‘Abdullaah Ibn Mubaarak رحمه اللهused to say, in poetry if the manners of the Salaf were mentioned:
“Do not compare us to them
for the sound person who walks
Is not the same as the crippled one. “
[The Etiquette of Seeking Knowledge – Sheikh Bakr Aboo Zayd رحمه الله – page 79]